Tuesday, December 2, 2014

December. Oh how I welcome, you, December.






December. Oh how I welcome, you, December.

            I welcome your familiar cold breezes and grey skies. I welcome the Christmas songs on the radio and the ones stuck in my head. I welcome your yummy treats and fun decorations. I welcome the evenings of blankets and Christmas movies.

            But Oh December, I welcome most of all the joy that you bring. The warm fuzzy feeling that December brings is almost indescribable. For months now, I have felt a dull pain lingering in my heart and in my head. But I tell you, December is starting to feel like a new beginning. It feels as if I am excited for something again. 

            As a child, I looked forward to December like most kids, excited for the Christmas festivities and excitement, but only more so. My birthday happens to fall during the first week of December, and I have always loved, loved my birthday. This past week I was honored to share a joint birthday celebration with my Grammy. All growing up I have made sure to tell her happy birthday and celebrate her life, but never in my 20 (almost 21) years have I ever shared a party with her. It was very special to blow out the candles and share opening of gifts with someone else. That was the beginning of the joy that December has shown me.

            I got home from Thanksgiving break feeling very loved. It was wonderful to have family constantly around me, offering up multitudes of hugs and laughter. When I came back to my apartment, my roommates and I cut out snowflakes, played Christmas music, and set up our very own tree. I think we all came back from Thanksgiving break feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the finals ahead of us.

            I know that these things may seem simple and perhaps meaningless to some. But what I have come to realize is that the spirit of Christmas and celebration really seems to warm my heart. These simple moments of celebration, decoration, or singing Christmas songs are things that I have loved and cherished my whole life. This December, I cherish them abundantly more. In all honesty, it has been quite a long time since I have been able to find joy in the things that once made me happy. I am so thankful that December and all of its blessings are not on that list. 

            More importantly, I am grateful that the month of December and the celebration of Christ’s birth still have a bearing on my life. No matter what difficulties come my way day in and day out of this life, I am humbled when I look in awe at the love God has for me. He sent His only son as a human baby to save the lost and bring salvation to the world. I can hardly describe how it feels to find joy in that truth amidst the pain that still lingers on in my heart. The month of December is impacting me in a way that I thought that it couldn’t this year. I was so afraid that I wouldn’t feel a reason to celebrate or find joy in holiday traditions. I am so thankful that I was wrong. Maybe I am being too honest, and sharing more than most people want to know. But this little, new found bit of joy is significant, and if I didn’t share my pain I wouldn’t be able to share that significance.
 
            December, I welcome the spirit of refreshment that you bring. I welcome your birthday festivities; I welcome the celebration of the Messiah. December has given me a hope of feeling like myself again, and for that I am so very thankful.
           

1 comment:

  1. No, you have that wrong. It was I who was honored to share a birthday party with YOU! I wish I wasn't so tired that night, but it was so special to share opening gifts and blowing out the candles with you. Why did we wait so long? I'm so glad you're Mom thought of it, and provided the cake. I'm grateful that you are feeling like December is bringing you a new beginning. God is great at giving us new beginnings, and it's one of His specialties. I'm also grateful for that bit of joy and hope in your heart. May you see it grow and bloom this Christmas and in 2015, so you can spread it to all the people around you. I'm glad that you came home feeling loved, because you will never know how much you are loved. We filled up your tank, and that's wonderful. Good job of writing and sharing, my Kory. I'm proud and you give me lots of joy in my life too.

    ReplyDelete