Wednesday, February 4, 2015

To My Parents



Throughout my life I always looked at my parents as my authorities. I was raised to obey them and listen to their advice, and really that hasn’t changed. But something I am learning increasingly more so the older I get is that my parents are some of my best friends. My parents are funny and fun to be around. They encourage me and push me to do my best every single day. Don’t get me wrong, they drive me crazy sometimes. But they are the people who have always been there for me, day and night, through laughter and through tears.
            When I am having a tough day I can face time Jamie and we laugh about all kinds of things, and yet if I need to talk about something that’s bothering me she is there with a listening ear. My dad loves to send me YouTube links to awesome music that he finds. He may not know it, but the days that he chooses to send those are the days that I need it most. He finds a way to be a part of my day even though I don’t live with him anymore. My mom lets me call her in tears and she listens and tells me that it’s okay to feel what I am feeling, and then she reads me a list of funny things just to try and make me smile. Kirk likes to send me random quotes he finds online that are encouraging. He loves to send me ones especially about God and how He has a plan for me.
            These past five months have been some of the toughest in my life, but what I have realized is that I have some of the toughest, most caring, and genuine friends in my parents. Each one of them finds a way to love me when I need it and hold me even though I am not with them. Sometimes they have to point out things in my life that need work, and though it may frustrate me to no end, where would I be without that?
            I’m not saying that my friends here at school aren’t amazing, because truly, they are wonderful gifts from God and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. But I am realizing that my family are the friends that were always there, whether I saw it or not. They are the true constant in my life. Yes, there have been ups and downs and bumps in the road throughout, but that never stopped them from loving me and guiding me. All four of them have shown me what it is like to persevere and have faith and trust in God when times are tough. All four of them have been pillars of strength for me to lean on when I am weak. All four of them have loved me, regardless of my mistakes. I am so incredibly lucky to have the four wonderful parents and friends that I have been given.
            I am thankful that through this trial I have found out who has always been there for me on this earth. There is just something about pain and suffering that leads you to see who is really going to stick with you through thick and thin. My parents have done just that, and I could not say in words the gratitude that is in my heart for them.

            Whether we realize it or not, God gives us our family for a reason. In my times of loneliness and sorrow, I have realized the true gift of friendship God gave me through my parents, all four of them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment