Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Drops of Home




I have never hated the rain. Not like most people do. The hot sun and heat wear me out, but the rain has always been refreshing. It's like home, but in a form of weather. I have never known a home without it. 

One of the earliest memories I have includes the rain. I can't remember how old I was or where I was. What I remember is that it was stormy outside. There was loud thunder and pelting rain. It was so stormy that eventually, the power had went out. I remember my mom lighting candles and pulling out flashlights so it must have been evening. After the candles were lit and the flashlights were found, we sat on the floor and played with my "little people" dollhouse. I can't tell you what we talked about or why I remember it, but I can tell you that every solitary time it storms, I remember that night. I cherish the rain because it reminds me of my mom's love for me. 

The rain is always around during my favorite times of the year. Thanksgiving a few years back I remember the wind and the rain well. My aunt wanted to get a few good photos of her family, and we braved the wind and the rain. Even though it was absolutely freezing, and we ended up drenched, we got some good shots. My aunt has always been  one to encourage my creativity through photography. Several years in a row, we have had these photo sessions and I'm thankful to have her encouragement so that I could improve on my skills. The rain reminds me of the people who believe in me.

My freshman year of college was a learning experience to say the least. I learned how to live away from my hometown, my parents, and all the things that were comfortable to me. I learned about God and about myself. 
One rainy day, after a long week of classes, my friends suggested we go puddle jumping. We got all dressed up in rain gear and headed out side. We started out puddle jumping but by the end it turned into a full on mud war. That was one of the most fun moments of my life thus far. The rain reminds me of what true friendship is. It is not being afraid of being yourself, and making the simple things like puddle jumping become the event of a lifetime.

And now. I have waited for rain to come and stay for weeks. I can't help but love the pitter patter sound it makes on the roof of my car when I'm waiting to go to class. I can't help but love the shimmering of the streetlights on the street at night reflecting off the water. I can't help but appreciate every drop that hits my face because the rain is my home. No matter where I go, near or far, rain makes me at peace. And I thank God for giving me rain to remind me of the blessings He gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment